Non-Departmental Supplemental Funding

Fieldwork Grants

Students are strongly encouraged to apply for outside fellowships (e.g., NSF, SSRC, Wenner-Gren, etc. – see Grants page for a list of typical funding sources) for coursework, research, and/or post-field write-up. Such grants often afford a higher stipend level and extra research funds.

Non-Emory Research Grants

Research grants originating outside Emory but administered by the University system are approved by the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) and managed by the Office of Grants & Contracts (OGCA). The department Accountant or Graduate Coordinator acts as liaison and can provide information and assistance when needed. In rare cases outside granting agencies will submit payment directly to the student.

Under certain circumstances, OSP will provide an account number for expenses after notification has been received, but before funding has arrived.

It is mandatory that original receipts be presented for payment.

Students who receive grants for research with human subjects must file an electronic request for Human Subjects Research Approval and have it approved by the University committee. Human subjects’ approval needs to be renewed annually, even when in the field, every year until the research is completed. Renewals state changes in research techniques concerning human subject consent or verify that no such changes have taken place/are needed. Students should discuss these renewals with their advisor and the Graduate Coordinator before leaving for the field.

Office of Sponsored Programs and Office of Grants and Contracts

Management of fellowship and grant funds is variable:

  • Usually (but not always), funding sources that emphasize stipend payment, including most fellowships, are administered directly to the recipient or via the Graduate School (e.g., NSF GRFP, Fulbright Fellowships).
  • Funding that emphasizes itemized research cost payment (which includes most grants) is usually administered by Grants and Contracts via the department accountant (e.g., NSF-DDRIG).
  • A few agencies may allow the applicant a choice to have the funds either received directly or administered by the University (e.g., Wenner Gren).

Funding administered through Emory Grants and Contracts needs to be approved by OSP (Office of Sponsored Programs) before the application is submitted. Students work directly with the Department Accountant to submit applications into the online system. The Graduate Coordinator should be notified of grant application submissions.

If there are any questions about this, the department accountant can assist.

Notice of Award

Copies of the fellowship, grant, or other extra-mural award notices must be supplied to each of the following:

  • Faculty Advisor;
  • Director of Graduate Studies;
  • Graduate Coordinator;
  • Financial Aid Coordinator in Laney Graduate School.

The parameters of the award must be recorded on the student's Annual Academic Progress and Activity Report submitted at the end of each academic year. The main contact person for most fellowships is the Assistant Dean for Graduate Affairs in the Graduate School. The Anthropology department staff will assist with obtaining allocated funds.

Advanced Dissertation Fellowships

After fieldwork and during dissertation write-up, students are eligible to be nominated for the Dean's Teaching Fellowship (DTF) sponsored by the Graduate School. All nominations are made by the department. To be eligible, the nominee must be in candidacy and must be on track to complete the PhD during the DTF year. Students in their 5th-7th years at the time of application may apply, but preference will be given to students in their 5th or 6th year.

With the DTF, students have the opportunity to teach courses of their preference. Preparation and consultation with advisors should begin in late November. Students should obtain a letter of nomination from their primary advisor and submit to the Graduate Coordinator no later than December 1. The student’s advisor must be able certify that the nominee will complete their degree by the end of the fellowship year. The deadline for departments to submit nominees to the Graduate School is mid-December. If a student is awarded this fellowship, then the proposed course presented with the application must be taught ONLY in the Spring semester of the fellowship year due to the constraints of advance curriculum planning and scheduling. The courses proposed must be from the existing undergraduate catalog. Please consult the Director of Undergraduate Studies and the Director of Graduate Studies prior to designing the DTF proposed courses.

Because this fellowship is a Dissertation Fellowship, students who have been awarded a DTF are no longer eligible for any funding from Emory after the fellowship has ended. This fellowship replaces any remaining post-field funding available to the student, and the DTF cannot be combined with Woodruff or any other supplemental funding.

There are a number of other internal and external fellowships that support dissertation completion. See the LGS website for a list of fellowship (though not exhaustive) and deadlines.


Graduate School policy restricts employment of graduate students who are receiving stipends. Even when the student is employed and paid directly by Emory University for 10 hours or less per week, the student must seek permission from both the Director of Graduate Studies and the Dean of the Graduate School. All other employment, including that paid for by individual faculty members, outside businesses, or external teaching institutions and universities, requires a waiver from the Graduate School. Please address any request for such a waiver in writing to the Director of Graduate Studies. The Director of Graduate Studies forwards the request to the Graduate Dean with his/her recommendation after consultation with the department's Graduate Concerns Committee. The purpose of this policy is to make sure that student's training and progress in the Graduate School are not compromised by employment obligations.

International students should check with both the Director of Graduate Studies and the International Students and Scholars Program (ISSP) before applying and accepting employment. International students must be and must remain in good academic standing to be allowed to receive additional employment. They must maintain their good academic standing with no incompletes while employed, and will be asked to relinquish their employment if placed under academic probation or after receiving a poor annual evaluation.